Process to become an authorized mover in the State of Michigan
The moving industry is a thriving and growing industry in Michigan consisting of providers who conduct local moves (less than 40 miles), intrastate moves (moves within the State of Michigan) and interstate moves (moves between states).
Intrastate moves are regulated in the State of Michigan. Authorized movers provide assurance to consumers that they follow the code of ethics of the Michigan Movers Association, hold the proper insurance certifications, and display the appropriate registrations for the State of Michigan.
Complete the following steps to become a mover in Michigan.
All intrastate for-hire carriers must obtain operating authority through the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED) of the Michigan State Police (according to the Motor Carrier Act, Public Act 254 of 1933).
Following are requirements during the application process for Household Goods Carriers applicants applying for CVED Authority. To apply for CVED Authority, an online application must be submitted through the CVED Authority Portal (CAP).
- File your business with the local county clerk or the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
- Apply for a USDOT number (MCS-150).
- Pay CVED processing and decal fees.
- Provide the following insurance forms from your insurance company:
- Proof of workers’ compensation insurance or an approved exclusion form from the Workers’ Compensation Agency.
- Certificate of Liability and a Form E.
- Form H.
- Provide a copy of any continuous contracts.
- Proof of membership of a Tariff if traveling more than 40 miles and not operating under a continuous contract.
Additional Requirements to become Interstate Carriers
- Insurance on file with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Active MC number (interstate operating authority)
- Paid UCR
Please note: Household goods carriers are required to renew their CVED Authority annually in the October 1 to December 1 renewal period. Failure to renew by January 1 results in revocation of CVED Authority.
For more information on the MSP CVED authority: